Player Profile

Quentin Lynch

Events Calendar

St Gabriels send out a message to title rivals.   01/08/2018

By Damian Dolan 

At McGovern Park, Ruislip. 

St Gabriels  3-32    Sean Treacys  0-11


'Whatever you can do, we can do better', seemed to be the message to Robert Emmetts and Kilburn Gaels, as St Gabriels ruthlessly put Sean Treacys to the sword.

Twenty-four hours after Emmetts' 19-point win over Brothers Pearse, and Kilburn having 15 points to spare against Cuchulainns, Thomas Lally's side seized the opportunity to up the ante.

And up it they most certainly did, and now time cannot pass quickly enough until Gabriels, Kilburn and Emmetts lock horns in the round robin (Round 4). There are some truly mouth-watering clashes to come.

 Before then, Treacys, Pearses and Cuchullainns will slug it out for the right to join them in the round robin. On the evidence of Round 1, however, that could be a dubious honour for the victor.

 Gabriels, who haven't enjoyed senior title success since 2013, were simply far too good for Treacys at McGovern Park last Thursday evening.

In Shane Lawless, Michael Ivors, Stephen Lohan and Andrew Curtin they have an abundance of attacking talent at their disposal.

In midfield, Brian Hickey and Oisin Royston had the freedom of McGovern Park and were able to spray the ball to all corners, with willing runners in Luke Hands, Eddie Burke and Lawless.

Try as they might, Treacys couldn't plug all the leaks, even with Paraic Treacy deployed in a deeper role and having first use of the breeze, Gabriels were sharper in deed and thought. The south Londoners actually led 0-2 to 0-1 after nine minutes. but Hands goal changed everything.

The powerful full forward turning his man before bearing down on Steven Power's goal. The Treacys 'keeper got a good piece of it, but not enough to keep it out.

That settled Gabriels into their groove and they pulled away thereafter. Sean Treacys were unable to get close enough to apply enough pressure. Curtin knocking over one sublime point on the run from the left hand sideline.

 Hands should have added a second goal when played in by Hickey and the excellent Lawless, but this time he didn't connect as sweet and Power was able to save.

 Gabriels led 1-14 to o-6 at the break, after a first half during which it looked like they had an extra man at times. Gabriels were given an early second half scare, however, when Lawless hobbled off with a back injury. After several minutes of treatment he returned to the fray in time to see Adam Hynes pick up a second yellow card.

If Treacys' task wasn't hard enough, trailing by 1-18 to 0-8, they now had 19 minutes to negotiate with 14-men. It would be a very long 19 minutes for those in red and white, and their sideline. Lawless had already caught the eye , with some exquisite scores, when he plucked a ball out of the air before arrowing a bullet of a shot into the top corner of Power’s net. It was good enough to draw a gasp from those watching on from the Mc­Govern Stand.

Treacys, who had already seen Dave Maher forced off with injury, had their woes added to by the sight of captain Dave Barden hobbling off. When it rains it pours.

Hands then put Ivors in space to score goal number three and it was just a case of how many Gabriels could rattle up before Mattie Maher put Treacys out of their misery.

The only downside for Gabriels was the sight of Lawless forced off again with eight minutes remaining to go to receive further treatment on his back. Despite an army of substitutes togged out in the Mc­Govern Stand, Gabriels elected to see the game out with 14-men. It did little to halt the scoring tide.

Treacys will have to lick their wounds before facing the winners of Cuchulainns and Brothers Pearse for a place in Round 4. With this being the club's 60th Anniversary, they'll have a point to prove after this sobering run out.

ST GABRIELS: James Barrett; Tomas Higgins, Neil Rogers, Ronan Royston; Lee Murphy, Conor Helebret, David O'Gorman; Brian Hickey (0-5), Oisin Royston (0-2); Andrew Curtin (0-2), Michael lvors (1- 11, 2f, 1 '65), Stephen Lohan (0- 5); Luke Hands (1-0), Shane Lawless (1-6), Eddie Burke (0- 1 ).

SEAN TREACYS: Steven Power; Jack Mccarron, Ger Quiligan, Michael O'Connor; Kieran Norris, Dave Barden, Rob Rice; Kevin McAvoy, Adam Hynes (0-1); Mark Sheridan (0- 1), Dave Maher, Gavin Falconer (0-8, 3t); Paraic Treacy (0-1), Mark Carter, Denis Crowley. Subs: James Lane for Crowley, Crowley for Maher, John Murphy for Barden.

REFEREE: Mattie Maher.

Our thanks to Damian Dolan for the article which appears in the Irish World 4th August 2018


Visit us on Facebook